Common Record : These are the only cricketers in test cricket two have taken 5 or more wickets in an innings while conceding 200 or more runs in an innings of a Test match.
- In all there are 21 instances of a bowler conceding 200+ runs in an innings. Only the seven bowlers mentioned in the LIST 1 have taken 5 or more wickets. Kapil Dev also holds the record for conceding 200+ runs in fewer number of overs than any other bowler.
- Vinood Mankad is the only bowler to have done it twice.
- Fleetwood-Smith of Australia holds the record for conceding maximum runs (87-11-298-1) whereas Khan Mohammad holds the record for not being a able to take a wicket (54-5-259-0).
- There are only two instance of two bowlers conceding 200+ runs in the same innings. Khan Mohammad & Fazal Mohammad for Pak Vs WI in 1957-58 Kingston Test, in which Gary Sobers hit that 365* & and Anil Kumble & Rajesh Chauhan for Ind Vs SL at Colombo in 1997-98 in which Jayasuriya hit 340.
LIST 2: Ricky Ponting, Sachin Tendulkar, Gary Kirsten, Marvan Atapattu, Rahul Dravid, Brian Lara & Steve Waugh.
Common Record : All the batsmen in the list have hit a century against all test playing nations..
Odd Man Out : Rahul Dravid is the only cricketer to have hit a century in every test playing nation.
LIST 3: Syed Kirmani, Jason Gillespie, Nasim Ul Ghani, Tony Mann & Mark Boucher.
Common Record : All the cricketers in the list have scored a century coming in as nightwatchman.
Odd Man Out : Mark Boucher hit a century twice coming in as night watchman.
- When I prepared the quiz , Gillespie was on 102*. So his double hundred was not the distinction I was looking for. However with his double hundred Jason Gillespie distinguished himslef as the only nightwatchman to have ever scored a double century and also the first night watchman to have involved in a triple century partnershipin Test Cricket.
LIST 4: Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden, Steve Waugh, Mohammad Yousuf,Younis Khan, Rashid Latif & Shahid Afridi.
Common Record : These are the only cricketers to have hit a test century in a non-test playing nation. They all hit a test century while playing at Sharjah.
Odd Man Out : Steve Waugh is the only batsman to have remained unbeaten after hitting that hundred.
LIST 5: Steve Waugh,Younis Khan, Andy Flower, Mathew Elliot, Mudassar Nazar, Mohd Azharuddin & Sanath Jayasuriya.
Common Record : These are the only batsmen to have registered a score of 199 in a test innings.
Odd Man Out : Andrew Flower is the only batsman to have remained unbeaten while doing so.
- Younis Khan is the only batsman to have got runout while going for his 200th run. I did not qualify this for distinction as another batsman Mudassar Nazar whose mode of dismissal, though the most common in Test cricket, was the only batsman to have got dismissed caught for a score of 199. Azharuddin & Steve Waugh were out lbw whereas Elliot and Jayasuriya were clean bowled.
LIST 6: Gordon Greenidge, Javed Miandad, Alec Stewart, Inzamam Ul Haq,Ricky Ponting & Colin Cowdrey. Common Record : These are the only cricketers to have hit a century in their hundredth test match.
Odd Man Out : Ricky Ponting’s feat of making a cetury in each innings makes his feat unique.
LIST 7: Asif Masood, Talha Jubair, Steve Harmison, AMJG Amersinghe, AEE Vogler,TR McKibbin & FR Spofforth.
Common Record : These are the only players who provides an instance of top scoring for their side while coming in to bat at no. 11 position.
Odd Man Out : AMGJ Amerasinghe of Sri Lanka achieved this feat on his Test Debut.
LIST 8: Brian Lara, Sunil Gavaskar, Graham Gooch, Greg Chappell, Doug Walters & Lawrence Rowe.
Common Record : These are the only batsmen in Test cricket to have scored a century and double century in each innings of a Test match.
Odd Man Out : Graham Gooch’s feat of making it a century and a triple century in the same test makes him unique.
- Lawrence Rowe’s feat of achieving this feat on debut too distinguishes him from the other players in the List.
LIST 9: Jim Laker, Waqar Younis, Geoff Dymock, Muthiah Muralitharan, S Venkatraghavan & Abdul Qadir.
Common Record : These are the only bowlers to have dismissed every batsman in the opponent’s team in a Test match.
Odd Man Out : Geoff Dymock is the only left arm bowler and also the only bowler to have achieved this feat while playing away from his home country
LIST 10: JJ Ferris,Billy Murdoch,Billy Midwinter, Sammy Woods & AE Trott.
Common Record : These are the only cricketers in the history of Test cricket to have played for both Australia and England.
Odd Man Out : Billy Midwinter is the only player to have played both for and against two different countries. He also is the only cricketer to have played Test cricket for a country non-consecutively as his 4 appearences for England were sandwiched between 2 and 6 appearances for Australia.Except Midwinter everybody else first played for Australia against England and then for England against South Africa.
LIST 11: Mohd Azharddin, Yajuvendra Singh, K Srikkanth, Stephen Fleming & Victor Richardson.
Common Record : These are the only cricketers to have caught 5 batsmen in an innings of a Test match.
- Only Yajuvendra Singh and Fleming made it 7 catches in the match to share the record for most catches in a Test match with Greg Chappell, Mathew Hayden and Hasan Tilakaratne. Tilakaratne was not playing as a wicket keeper when he achieved this record.
Common Record : All these wicket keepers hold the record for not conceding a single bye while the opponents have scored 600 or more runs.
LIST 13: Shane Warne, Imran Khan, Sydney Barnes, Jim Laker,Rodney Hogg, Terry Alderman & Clarrie Grimmet.
Common Record : These are the only bowlers in the history of cricket to have taken 40 or more wickets in a Test Series.
LIST 14: Imtiaz Ahmed, Ricky Ponting, Arthur 'Dudley' Nouse, Seymour Nourse & Viv Richards.
Common Record : These are the only five batsmen in the history of cricket to have made a double century and a duck in the same test match.
LIST 15: Bill Attwell, Bert Vogler, Tommy Ward , Colin Wesley , BS Chandrasekhar , Gary Troup, Dave Richardson, Adam Huckle, Ajit Agarkar & Adam Gilchrist .
Common Record : These are the only batsmen to have got dismissed for a king pair i.e., out first ball in both the innings of a Test Match.